Some helpful websites for music placement exam preparation.
Navigate this page
Harmony and Ear Training
- Music Theory
- Lessons and drills (trainers) for recognizing notes, intervals, chords, keys, etc. Sight trainers and ear trainers. You can even print music manuscript paper for piano, SATB, or a custom format. (under Utilities)
- Tonality Guide
- Definitions, descriptions, musical and listening examples for types of scales, chords, progressions, modulations, voice leading, and more.
Form and Analysis
- Form and Analysis
- “Form and Analysis: A Virtual Textbook” – the name says it all.
History and Literature
- Essentials of Music
- Based on W.W. Norton’s Essentials of Music – an overview of the important eras of music history, brief composer bio’s, a glossary of terms, and listening examples.
- Timelines, chapter outlines based on Grout’s History of Western Music, 4th edition.
- Instrument Names
- Names of instruments in different languages